Powdery mildew is a common fungal disease most often found in shady areas of the lawn. Powdery mildew can occur throughout the growing season but is usually most noticeable in the spring and fall.
What Powdery mildew looks like:
Lawns with Powdery mildew look as if the grass has been sprinkled with flour. The fine powder easily rubs off with your fingers.
How to prevent Powdery mildew:
● Water shaded grass infrequently, but to a depth of 5” – 7”
● Water your lawn early in the morning, so that the grass dries completely before nightfall
● Allow the grass to grow to 3” before mowing
How to eradicate Powdery mildew:
Adam’s Healthy Lawn professionals can apply a fungicide to temporarily eliminate the symptoms for powdery mildew. However, the disease will return if the growing conditions do not improve:
● Reduce the amount of nitrogen fertilizer use in affected areas
● Over-seed the affected area with a shade grass mixture
● Prune or remove trees and shrubs to allow more sunlight and better air movement
Talk to an Adam’s Healthy Lawn Expert!
Not sure what weed or lawn disease is bugging you?
Ask our lawn expert. Email us a photo and/or description and we’ll identify your weed or lawn disease. Our lawn expert will tell you how Adam’s can eliminate it from your home or property.Send us a Lawn Pic