Buyer Beware! The Dangers Of Do-It-Yourself ProductsPosted:Aug 27th, 2010
Bed bugs are everywhere in the news and consumers are looking for solutions. They’re searching the internet for that magic bullet. Of course the internet is full of answers, but doesn’t distinguish between good and bad choices. The bed bug pandemic is a perfect opportunity for scam artists to take advantage of people who are desperate for help. So keep these tips in mind for when you can’t sleep tight.
- Ordering pesticides off the internet is a bad idea. DON’T DO IT! You have no way of knowing what you are really buying.
- Pesticides banned in the US are often still available in other countries.
- Sellers may intentionally misrepresent their products as bed bug solutions, when in fact; they are worthless in controlling bed bugs.
- Some products should not be used indoors or around people or pets.
- At one time, DDT was effective at killing bed bugs, but now DDT is ineffective against many of the current bed bug strains.
- Most insecticides are not effective at killing bed bugs, or they kill bed bugs very slowly.
If you do choose to try an over-the-counter pesticide for bed bugs, or any other insect, please remember…the label is the law and the label matters. The label is there to ensure your health and safety.
- If the product is not labeled for bed bugs or not labeled for the treatment area, do not use it. Doing so puts people and pests at risk.
- Over-application or misapplications are real problems. Follow the label exactly. More is not always better.
There are safe and effective ways to eliminate bed bugs. We encourage you to contact a pest management professional in your area who will outline all the options available to you: heat, steam, freezing, dusts, aerosols, and monitors.
When choosing a pest management professional you should ask the following:
- Are they licensed and insured?
- Have they been in business at least 5 years?
- Are they members of an accredited association such as the National Pest Management Association?
- Do they do background checks on their employees?
- Do they have any guarantees?
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at ADAM’S Pest Control, Inc. by calling 800-227-2214, or contact us here on our website!