What is a canine inspection for bed bugs?
Adam’s specially trained dogs detect bed bugs by their scent in the same way other dogs effectively detect drugs, bombs, cadavers, mold, and termites. A dog’s sense of smell is up to 100,000 times more sensitive than a human’s and they can be trained to identify bed bugs and viable eggs by their scent.
Our dogs and handlers work as a team. The handlers, licensed Pest Management Professionals (PMPs), show the dog where he should inspect. The dog is trained to indicate to its handler if he smells a bed bug or viable egg. The PMP then verifies the presence of bed bugs.
OUR BED BUG DOG TEAMS
Adam's canine inspection team is nationally certified by NESDCA
Our team is made up of licensed PMPs and our specially trained dogs, Marvin and Baxter:
Marvin, The Bed Bug Beagle - Marvin is an easy going, lovable bed bug sniffing dog. He is gentle and is especially good at finding bed bugs without disturbing people’s belongings.
Baxter, The Bed Bug Beagle - Baxter is our latest addition to the bed bug teams.
The National Entomology Scent Detection Canine Association (NESDCA) is a certifying organization that assures the highest quality standards of Scent Detection Canines. NESDCA has strict standards for certifying canine detection teams in a pass/fail evaluation. We are proud of Marvin (and his PMP handlers) for passing the difficult performance tests.
Why call Adam's?
- Our bed bug detection dogs are from among the top canine training schools in the country.
- Adam’s canine teams are recognized leaders and have traveled to other states to perform inspections.
- Unlike some pest companies, Adam’s only rewards the dog when there is supporting evidence of bed bugs. This practice helps keep our dogs honest and effective.
- Adam’s PMP will confirm the presence of bed bugs before any treatment is ordered
When is a canine inspection most effective?
- Canine inspections can be highly effective on more difficult to locate bed bug infestations.
- Canine inspections take less time compared to a PMP alone.
- Adam’s canine inspection teams are effective at “sweeping” large areas such as theaters, retail stores, and common areas for bed bugs.
- When you have multiple rooms or units to inspect, such as hotels, apartments buildings, or condominiums
- In private homes when bed bugs are suspected, but have not been seen