whatever’s bugging you.
Seeing Ghost Ants?
Who ya gonna call?
Ghost ants get their name from the fact that their pale color and tiny size make them very difficult to see. Originally a tropical species, ghost ants (Tapinoma melanocephalum – Fabricus) are unable to survive Minnesota’s climate except in greenhouses and other heated indoor spaces. Because ghost ants are a serious pest problem in greenhouses, always inspect any plants you purchase to ensure they are not infested with ghost ants before bringing them inside your home.
Once inside, colonies of ghost ants are moderate to large in size and can contain thousands of tiny workers. Ghost ants will nest in a variety of places, some of which may be habitable for only a few days or weeks such as potted plants or the spaces between books on a shelf. Also, ghost ants usually have multiple nesting sites, as new queens leave their original nests to create their own colonies.
Adam’s Gets Rid of Ghost Ants Fast!
Fast, Local Response
Ghost Ant Treatment Options
One-time Ant Treatment
Adam’s licensed pest management professional will apply a non-repellent material to the foundation, doors, windows, eaves, and overhangs to create a residual barrier around the exterior perimeter of your home; and will spot treat interior areas, as needed. Adam’s one-time ant treatment comes with a 3-month warranty.
Premier Ant Prevention
Never have ants again. Not only will Adam’s take care of your immediate ant problem, but we will proactively prevent ants from ever becoming a problem again. Most of our ant control customers prefer our 2x Premier Ant Prevention Service.
Need to prevent more pests than just ants? Adam’s Premier Perimeter Program includes a minimum of 3 preventive barrier treatments around the exterior perimeter of your home for year-round prevention of common household bugs, including insects, spiders, and ants. Your Pest Management Professional inspects for pests, and then applies a season-specific, non-repellent, residual material to control common household pests before they can get inside. Comes with a 12-month guarantee.
Premier Home Pest Prevention
Adam’s best value for prevention and control of common household pests, including ants! Adam’s Premier Home Pest Prevention service provides year-round pest prevention with a minimum of four visits throughout the year. Service visits focus on the exterior of your home, where most pest problems originate. And should a pest problem ever occur between scheduled visits, the plan includes additional treatments at no additional charge. This program includes common household pests like spiders, centipedes, sow bugs, and roaches and seasonal pests like wasps, multicolored Asian lady beetles, boxelder bugs, and mice, as well as ants.
Get Your Free Estimate Now
Complete this form for an online quote 24/7, or call 866-388-1847 during office hours to speak with an agent.
More About Ghost Ants
HOW CAN I TELL IF I HAVE GHOST ANTS?
- Ghost ants will nest in wall voids, behind baseboards, between cabinets and inside the soil of potted plants.
- Ghost ants are often discovered in the kitchen, although any room can be infested. Since ghost ants need moisture, they can be found near sinks, shower stalls, bathtubs, toilets, and any leaks or drips. Also, inspect electrical outlets, especially in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Ghost ants can be found trailing from room to room under the edge of carpeting and along shoe moldings.
WHAT DO GHOST ANTS LOOK LIKE?
- Ghost ants are sometimes called “black-headed ants” because the head and thorax are a deep dark brown, while the legs, pedicel, gaster, and antennae are pale yellow, almost translucent, in color.
- Workers are approximately 1/16” in length.
- The thorax is unevenly rounded and doesn’t have spines.
- Ghost ants give off a coconut-like odor when they are crushed.
- When disturbed, ghost ants will scatter and run around erratically.
ARE GHOST ANTS DANGEROUS?
- Ghost ants are nonaggressive, do not sting, and only bite when their nest is threatened. Their non-poisonous bites inflict little, if any, discomfort or itching and do not pose any health concerns to humans.
- The only threat ghost ants pose is the potential to contaminate food products they invade.
CAN MY HOUSE BE DAMAGED BY GHOST ANTS?
No, ghost ants do not damage structures.
WHAT CAN I DO TO PREVENT GHOST ANTS?
- Keep your home clean. In addition to removing food particles that can attract ghost ants, cleaning also eliminates the trailing and pheromones the ants use to find their way while foraging.
- Remove excess moisture, including condensation and repairing any leaks.
- Store food in tight containers.
- Remove plants that can attract ants and control aphids and other insects that produce honeydew.
WHAT DO GHOST ANTS EAT?
- Ghost ants feed upon many household foods, especially sweets, such as sugar, cakes, and syrups.
- They will also feed on grease.
- Ghost ants are very fond of honeydew.
- They also feed on both dead and live insects.
WHAT IS THE GHOST ANTS’ LIFECYCLE?
- Ghost ants follow a complete metamorphosis, in which they go through four separate developmental stages (egg, larva, pupa, and adult) during their life cycle.
- The queen ants lay a large number of eggs that hatch into larvae after two to four weeks.
- Sterile female workers look after the pupae for as long as two months, after which adult ants emerge.
- New colonies often are formed through a process known as budding.
- Budding occurs when one or more reproductive females, accompanied by several workers and possibly some brood (larvae and pupae) separate from the main colony to form a new colony elsewhere.